Dondakaya Annam ~ Tindora (Ivy Gourd) Rice
06-07-2012, 02:12 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2012 06:34 AM by pkelley.)
Dondakaya Annam ~ Tindora (Ivy Gourd) Rice Recipe
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 35 min
Main Ingredients: Dondakaya Basmati Rice Garam Masala
Basmati Rice: 2 cups (long grained rice) cooked such that each grain is separate
Onion: 1 (large) finely sliced
Oil: 2 tbsp oil
Ghee: 1/2 tbsp ghee
Ginger garlic paste: 1 tsp
Garam masala: Whole (4 cloves, 1" cinnamom, 1 elachi, 1 star anise, 1 bay leaf)
Coconut paste: 2 tbsps
Coriander powder: 1 tsp
Cumin powder: 1/4 tsp
Red chili powder: 1 tsp
Turmeric powder: 1/4 tsp
Ivy Gourd: 1/4 kg (nip the ends and slit each length wise into two long pieces)
Salt to taste
Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves for garnish
Coarsely crush (do not make a paste):
Coriander leaves: 5 tbsps (chopped)
Pudina leaves: 7-8 (chopped)
Green chillis: 2
1. Heat 1 1/2 tbsp oil+1/2 tbsp ghee in a cooking vessel, add the halved dondakayalu/tindora and saute on medium flame till well roasted, approx 15 mts.
2. Remove them onto a plate and keep aside.
3. In the same vessel, add the remaining oil. Add whole spices and bay leaf and saute for half a minute.
4. Add the sliced onions and saute for 6 mts.
5. Add the ginger garlic paste and crushed coriander-pudina-green chillis and saute for 3 mts.
6. Add the coconut paste and mix. Saute for 2 mts.
7. Add coriander pwd, cumin powder, tumeric pwd and red chili pwd and mix.
8. Add the sauteed dondakayalu and mix. Cook for 7-8 mts.
9. Add the cooked rice and salt to taste and mix. Place lid and cook on low flame for 2-3 mt. Add lemon juice and mix.
10. Turn off heat and remove onto a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
11. Serve warm with raita or any curry of your choice.
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)