06-07-2012, 02:11 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2012 06:34 AM by pkelley.)
Cook time: 35 min
Main Ingredients: okra
Bendakaya- 1/4 kg, wash, dry, nip the ends and chop into small pieces (Bhindi/Okra)
Onion 1, finely chopped
Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Garlic Cloves - 5, lightly crushed OR 1/2 tsp asafoetida
Dry red chilies - 2, tear and de-seed
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Salt to taste
Cooking Oil - 1 1/2 tbsps
1. Wash the okra, dry them, chop tip and tail ends. Chop into 1/2" pieces.
2. Heat oil in a cooking vessel. Once the oil is hot, reduce heat to medium flame, add the mustard seeds, let them splutter, add the cumin seeds and let them brown. Add the curry leaves, dry red chilies and garlic cloves, stir them for few seconds.
3. Add the chopped onions and saute till transparent. Add the okra and turmeric pwd and combine. Saute on medium high heat for 3-4 minutes. Reduce to low flame, add a tbsp of yogurt or lemon juice (to reduce slime) and let it cook for 4-5 mts. Saute in between so that they don't burn.
4. Reduce flame and cook till the okra turns soft. This could take about 15-20 mts of slow roasting. Season with salt and turn off flame.
5. Serve hot with steamed rice or rotis.
|Possibly Related Threads...|
|Bhindi Sambhariya ~ Gujarati Style Stuffed Okra||pkelley||0||6,573||
06-07-2012 02:19 AM
Last Post: pkelley
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)