06-07-2012, 02:10 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2012 06:33 AM by pkelley.)
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 15 min
Main Ingredients: tur dal
Tur dal - 1/4 cup (kandi pappu/red gram da)
Moong dal - 1/4 cup (pesara pappu/yellow lentils)
Channa dal - 2 tbsps (bengal gram/senaga pappu) (soak for 15 mts in water)
Green chilies - 2, slit length wise
Ginger, finely minced
Haldi - 1/4 tsp (pasupu/turmeric pwd)
Coriander seeds - 1/2 tsp (crushed) (optional)
Tomato - 1, finely chopped
Ghee - 1 1/2 tsps (or oil for a vegan version)
Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
Hing - large pinch (asafoetida/inguva)
Dry red chilies - 1 or 2, tear and de-seed
Green chili - 1, slit
Red chili powder - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves (optional)
Ghee - 1 1/2 tsps (or cooking oil)
1. In a pressure cooker, add 2 cups of water and add the three lentils/dals, green chilies, ginger, hing and turmeric pwd and pressure cook upto 3 whistles. If cooking over stove top, cook till the dals are almost cooked. Mash the dals lightly.
2. Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed vessel, add crushed coriander seeds and stir fry for few secs. Add the chopped tomato and saute for 4 mts.
3. Add the pressure cooked dal along with salt and mix. Add a large cup of water and cook on slow to medium flame for 10 mts without lid or till you get the consistency of your choice.
4. Remove onto a serving bowl and keep aside while you prepare the tempering.
5. Heat ghee in a small pan, add the cumin seeds and as they splutter, add hing, red chilies, green chili, red chili powder and curry leaves and saute for a few secs. Turn off heat and pour this over the dal.
6. Serve with rotis or jeera pulao or white rice.
User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)